A Vitamix is one of the most popular and versatile blender brands on the market. Vitamix blenders are known for their ability to blend, grind, chop, heat, and even knead a wide variety of ingredients. Their powerful motors and sharp blades can handle tough tasks like crushing ice and blending frozen fruit into smoothies. But can they also grind nuts into nut butter or nut flour? Let’s take a look at whether or not a Vitamix is up for this nutty job.
What is a Vitamix?
Vitamix is a blender brand that was founded in 1921 by William Grover Barnard. The company is based in Ohio, USA and their blenders are assembled in factories there. Vitamix blenders are high-performance countertop blenders known for their aircraft-grade stainless steel blades and durable motors.
There are several product lines of Vitamix blenders for home and commercial use. The most popular home models include the Explorian, Professional Series, and Ascent Series. Key features across all Vitamix blender models include:
- Powerful motors ranging from 2 to over 3 horsepower
- Hardened stainless steel blades
- Variable speed control
- Pulse function
- BPA-free containers
- Self-cleaning capability
Vitamix machines are built to blend tough ingredients quickly and make smooth purees, batters, doughs, and more. Their blades can reach speeds fast enough to create enough friction heat to make hot soup in the blender.
Grinding Nuts in a Vitamix
So how does the Vitamix blender perform when it comes to grinding nuts? Overall, Vitamix machines do an excellent job grinding nuts into nut butter or nut flour. Here are some key advantages of using a Vitamix for this task:
- Powerful motor provides enough torque to grind nuts
- Sharp, aircraft-grade stainless steel blades can easily grind nuts
- Variable speed gives control over texture
- Can grind small or large batches of nuts
- Creates smooth nut butter without overheating
- Dry blades available for grinding dry ingredients
The Vitamix can grind most any type of nut including almonds, walnuts, pecans, peanuts, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts, and macadamia nuts. The texture ranges from a fine nut flour to chunky nut butter depending on processing time.
Benefits of Grinding Your Own Nut Butter and Nut Flour
Here are some of the biggest benefits of using a Vitamix to grind your own nut butter and nut flour:
- Freshness – Homemade allows you to use fresh nuts for maximum flavor and nutrient retention.
- Control ingredients – You can control what goes into your nut butter or flour, avoiding unwanted additives.
- Customize texture – Grind to your preferred consistency from completely smooth nut butter to chunky.
- Save money – Grinding your own nuts is cheaper than buying pre-made nut butters and flours.
- Try different nuts – Grind any combination of nuts, including less common ones like Brazil nuts.
- No added oils – Vitamix nut butter has no added oils, keeping it lower in fat and calories.
Grinding nuts at home lets you customize for your taste and diet. Plus you get the freshest, purest product possible.
Tips for Grinding Nuts in the Vitamix
Follow these tips when using your Vitamix blender to grind nuts:
- Use raw, unsalted nuts without any coatings or flavorings.
- For nut butter: Use roasted nuts for deeper flavor.
- For nut flour: Raw nuts work best.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of oil to get the grinding started smoothly.
- Grind in batches for small amounts or use a dry blender container for larger batches.
- Use the tamper to press nut solids against the blades as needed.
- Start on low speed to get a sense of texture and gradually increase speed.
- Grind for short periods, stopping to scrape down sides of blender.
- For the smoothest nut butter, grind for up to 5 minutes on high speed.
- For chunky texture, pulse on low or grind for less time.
- Let nut butter cool before storing; it will firm up after blending hot.
The beauty of the Vitamix is being able to adjust the speed as you go for your perfect texture. Pay attention to the consistency and grind time to get exactly the nut butter or flour you want.
Grinding Different Types of Nuts
While all nuts can be ground in the Vitamix, some variations in the process may be required depending on the nut.
Almonds are one of the easiest nuts to grind into almond butter or almond flour. Their mellow flavor is versatile for both sweet and savory uses. When grinding almonds, expect a grinding time of around 3-5 minutes for smooth butter.
It takes 4-5 minutes to grind walnuts into butter with their delicate oils and slightly bitter notes. Walnut butter has a thinner, runnier texture. Resting the nut butter will help it set up. Walnut flour has a pleasant, mildly sweet flavor.
Cashews transform easily into cashew butter in the Vitamix with 3-4 minutes of grinding. Their high oil content makes for a super smooth and creamy butter. Cashew flour can be used to enrich baked goods and sauces.
Rich, buttery pecans take about 4 minutes to grind into pecan butter. The naturally sweet flavor needs no additions. Reduce grinding time slightly for a chunkier texture. Pecan flour has a mild nuttiness.
Pistachios require 5+ minutes of grinding to break down their tough shells, but produce pretty green nut butter. Use shelled pistachios for a quicker grind time. Pistachio flour lends sweetness and color to baked goods.
It takes 4-5 minutes to achieve perfectly smooth peanut butter in the Vitamix. Natural peanut butter has incredible peanut flavor. Peanut flour gives a protein boost to smoothies, breads, and more.
Toasted hazelnuts work best ground into hazelnut butter, taking around 5 minutes for a creamy spread. Hazelnut flour can be used as a gluten-free flour option with its mildly sweet taste.
Buttery macadamia nuts require 3-4 minutes to become smooth nut butter with a luxuriously rich texture. Macadamia nut flour adds decadence to cookies and cakes.
When grinding any type of nut, let your taste preferences and desired use determine grinding time. Tweak the duration to get the consistency you want.
Nut Butter and Flour Recipes
Here are some delicious ways to use your homemade Vitamix-ground nut butter and nut flours:
Nut Butter Recipes
- Nut butter smoothies
- Nut butter oatmeal
- Nut butter toast with fruit
- Nut butter banana wraps
- Nut butter energy balls
- Nut butter sauces for chicken or veggies
- Pad Thai with peanut butter sauce
- Overnight nut butter chia pudding
Nut Flour Recipes
- Pancakes and waffles made with almond or pecan flour
- Macarons with almond flour
- Scones or shortbread with hazelnut flour
- Muffins with walnut or pecan flour
- Nut flour banana bread or zucchini bread
- Substitute nut flours for up to 1/4 of wheat flour in baked goods recipes
- Use peanut or almond flour for cookie or brownie recipes
- Coat fish, chicken or tofu in nut flours before baking
Get creative with the homemade nut butters and flours you can easily make in your Vitamix!
Storing Homemade Nut Butter and Nut Flour
To retain maximum freshness and prevent your nut butter or flour from going rancid, proper storage is key. Here are some storage tips:
- Store nut butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
- Natural separation may occur; stir nut butter before use.
- For short term storage, nut flours can be kept in the pantry in a sealed container.
- For longer storage, keep flours in the fridge for up to 6 months or freezer for 1 year.
- Freeze nut butter for storage up to 1 year.
- Pack nut butter or flour in sealed freezer bags if freezing.
By grinding small batches and storing properly, you can enjoy fresh, homemade nut butter and flour when you need it.
In summary, Vitamix blenders are perfectly capable of grinding nuts into nut butter or nut flour. Their powerful motors and sharp blades make quick work of all types of nuts. Benefits of making your own nut butter and flour include freshness, control of ingredients, customized texture, cost savings, and the ability to use any combination of nuts you prefer.
Tips like adding oil, using the tamper, grinding in batches, and adjusting speeds based on your desired texture will help you achieve success grinding nuts in the Vitamix. Store homemade nut butter and flours properly in airtight containers in the fridge or freezer. Used in smoothies, baked goods, and other recipes, the Vitamix-ground nut products will provide fresh, bold nutty flavor. So don’t hesitate to use your Vitamix for grinding your favorite nuts into butters and flours at home.