Blending frozen fruit into tasty and nutritious smoothies is one of the most popular uses for high-powered blenders like the Vitamix. Vitamix blenders are well known for their ability to blend just about anything thanks to their strong motors and sharp blades. But can they handle blending up frozen fruit into a deliciously smooth and icy drink? Let’s take a look at how well Vitamix blenders can handle frozen fruit and some tips for getting the best results.
How Vitamix Blenders Blend Frozen Fruit
Vitamix blenders are designed to pulverize and blend a wide variety of ingredients, including frozen fruit. Here are some of the key features that allow Vitamix blenders to blend frozen ingredients:
- Powerful motor – Vitamix blenders have motors ranging from 2 to 5 horsepower. This gives them incredible blending power to handle tough ingredients.
- Sharp blades – The aircraft-grade stainless steel blades are precisely designed to pulverize frozen fruit.
- Variable speed control – Adjustable speed gives you control over the texture of your blend. Start low to get the blades moving then increase speed.
- Tamper – The tamper allows you to push ingredients into the blades while blending for smoother results.
- Blending jars – Vitamix jars are designed to create a vortex that continually pulls ingredients down into the blades.
With the right techniques, these features allow Vitamix blenders to blend up frozen fruit into smooth, creamy frozen drinks and desserts.
Can All Vitamix Models Blend Frozen Fruit?
While all Vitamix blenders can blend frozen fruit, some models are better equipped than others:
|Good for Frozen Fruit?
|G-Series Next Gen
|Pro 750 Heritage
|Pro 780 Blender
The most powerful Vitamix blenders with 3+ horsepower motors are best equipped to crush through frozen fruit with ease. But blenders with 2.2+ horsepower motors can also handle frozen blending if you use the right techniques.
Tips for Blending Frozen Fruit in a Vitamix
Here are some tips to get the best results blending frozen fruit in your Vitamix:
- Use fruit that is completely frozen solid. Fruit that is even partially thawed or contains ice crystals will not blend as smoothly.
- Cut large frozen fruit like bananas into smaller pieces before adding to the blender.
- Start on a low variable speed to get the blades moving then slowly increase to high.
- Use the tamper to press ingredients down onto the blades while blending.
- Add at least 1/2 cup of liquid to help the blender process the frozen fruit.
- Blend in short intervals, stopping to scrape down the sides of the container.
- Add softer fresh fruits or vegetables to balance out the texture.
- Chill the blending jar beforehand for thicker frozen desserts.
With these tips, your Vitamix can break down frozen fruit into silky smooth ice cream, sorbet, and frozen cocktails. The most powerful models like the A3500 or Pro 750 have the easiest time creating flawlessly smooth frozen blends.
Ideal Frozen Fruits for Blending
All types of frozen fruit can be blended in a Vitamix but some are better suited for frozen blending than others:
- Bananas – Bananas blend very smoothly. Peel and freeze ripe bananas whole or in chunks.
- Berries – Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries all have nice texture.
- Pineapple – Has high water content for smooth texture.
- Mango – Blends creamy but fibers may require straining the final blend.
- Grapes – Seedless grapes make great sorbet.
Fruits that may be more challenging due to texture include oranges, peaches, nectarines and pears. Try mixing them with bananas or pineapple for better results.
Can a Vitamix Crush Ice?
In addition to frozen fruit, Vitamix blenders excel at crushing ice into snowy texture:
- Use ice cubes made from purified or filtered water for the best taste.
- Drop ice cubes directly into the blender, no need to crush by hand.
- Start on low speed then increase to blend smooth.
- Add a bit of liquid for easier blending.
- Powerful models like the A3500 or Pro 750 work best to pulverize ice.
With the strong motors and cutting blades found in Vitamix blenders, they have no problem crushing, blending, and pureeing ice into frozen desserts and drinks.
Can You Blend Frozen Fruit in Other Blenders?
While other blenders may claim to be able to crush frozen fruit and ice, none match the power and performance of Vitamix models. Here is how other types of blenders compare:
|Frozen Blending Ability
|Very limited ability
|Immersion hand blenders
|No ability to blend frozen
|No ability to blend frozen
|Moderate frozen blending ability
|Limited frozen blending ability
|Good frozen blending but less than Vitamix
Personal blenders like Nutri Bullets have very compact motors that can’t properly pulverize frozen ingredients. Masticating juicers like those from Omega do not have the power or blade design for frozen blending. Models like the Ninja Professional Blender have decent frozen blending capabilities but still can’t achieve the smoothness of a Vitamix.
Freezing fruit is a great way to preserve fresh produce to make later into delicious frozen desserts and smoothies. Vitamix blenders are uniquely designed to blend just about any frozen ingredients into silky, smooth ice cream or sorbet thanks to their powerful motors, sharp blades and variable speeds. While models like the A3500, A2500 and Pro 750 perform the best with frozen fruit and ice, any Vitamix blender can handle frozen blending with proper use of its tamper and variable speeds. With the right techniques, a Vitamix blender can pulverize frozen fruit into creamy perfection.