Yes, a Vitamix blender is capable of blending wheatgrass into a smooth juice or smoothie. Vitamix blenders are high-powered blenders designed to blend even the toughest ingredients thanks to their strong motors and sharp blades. Wheatgrass is the young grass shoots of the wheat plant, which are juiced or blended into smoothies for their concentrated nutrients and chlorophyll content. With its aircraft-grade stainless steel blades that spin at 240 mph and powerful 2+ peak horsepower motor, a Vitamix has no problem breaking down the cell walls of hard and fibrous wheatgrass to produce a fine green juice.
Benefits of Wheatgrass
Wheatgrass is the freshly sprouted leaves of the common wheat plant, Triticum aestivum. It is harvested just 7-10 days after germination, when the grass reaches a height of about 6-10 inches. At this stage, wheatgrass contains very high concentrations of nutrients, antioxidants, chlorophyll, vitamins, and enzymes compared to mature wheat. Some key nutrients and benefits of wheatgrass include:
|Chlorophyll||Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. May support cardiovascular health.|
|Vitamin A||Supports immune system and eye health.|
|Vitamin C||Boosts immune system. Aids collagen production.|
|Iron||Supports circulation and oxygen transport in blood.|
|Amino Acids||Building blocks of proteins. Help repair and build muscle tissue.|
|Enzymes||Aid digestion and nutrient absorption.|
In addition to vitamins and minerals, wheatgrass contains compounds like flavonoids and alkaloids that act as antioxidants to neutralize free radicals and reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the body. It also contains amino acids, enzymes, and chlorophyll that provide detoxification benefits. The nutrients in wheatgrass juice get absorbed by the body quickly since they do not need to be broken down by digestion.
Challenges of Blending Wheatgrass
Though packed with nutrients, wheatgrass presents some challenges when blending:
- Dense, fibrous texture – Wheatgrass has a very dense and fibrous texture that can be difficult for blenders to breakdown.
- Thick, grassy taste – Has a potent, earthy flavor that some find unpleasant to drink on its own.
- Oxidation – The nutrients in wheatgrass can start to deteriorate and oxidize rapidly after juicing.
- Foam production – Juicers tend to produce more foam compared to blenders.
Powerful blenders like Vitamix are designed to overcome these challenges.
Vitamix blenders are uniquely equipped to blend thick, fibrous ingredients like wheatgrass:
- High-torque motor – Vitamix motors generate up to 2 peak horsepower to spin blades at 240 mph.
- Sharp blades – Aircraft-grade stainless steel blades can handle any produce.
- Variable speed – Blend at different speeds for optimal texture.
- Blade friction – Blades are designed for friction to heat ingredients for smoother blends.
- Large batches – Can blend medium to large batches in 64 oz or larger containers.
- Tamper – Use tamper to press produce towards blades and process thick mixtures.
These features allow Vitamix blenders to pulverize tough, fibrous wheatgrass into a smooth juice or add it to smoothies with ease. The high speeds finely grind the wheatgrass, breaking down cell walls to extract nutrients and chlorophyll while the friction from blades results in some heat that helps facilitate blending and deactivates enzymes that cause oxidation.
How to Blend Wheatgrass in a Vitamix
Follow these tips when using a Vitamix to blend wheatgrass:
- Start with freshly cut wheatgrass. Use within 30 minutes of juicing for best quality.
- Trim ends off wheatgrass stalks and rinse thoroughly.
- Fill blender jar no more than half full with tightly packed wheatgrass.
- Add 1/2 cup water to help facilitate juicing.
- Secure lid and start blending at lowest speed, then increase to high.
- Use tamper to press wheatgrass into blades if needed.
- Blend for about 1 minute or until desired texture is achieved.
- Drink immediately or store in airtight container in fridge up to 3 days.
For smoothies, follow the same steps but add wheatgrass with other ingredients like fruit and liquids. The Vitamix blender allows you to customize texture – blend briefly for more fiber and texture or longer for smoother juice.
Cleaning the Vitamix
Though wheatgrass is nutritious, it can leave your Vitamix container coated in a sticky green residue after blending. Here are some tips for cleaning:
- Rinse container and blades immediately after use.
- Fill with warm water and add a drop of dish soap.
- Blend on high for 30 seconds.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Repeat if needed for stubborn stains.
- Squeeze a lemon half in container to help remove odors.
Taking the time to clean your Vitamix properly after using it to process wheatgrass will help keep the blender fresh and well-maintained.
A Vitamix blender is perfectly equipped to handle the dense, fibrous texture of wheatgrass and produce a smooth, nutritious juice. The power and sharp blades of the Vitamix break down the cell walls of wheatgrass to release its nutrients, enzymes, and chlorophyll while oxidizing less than other blenders. With some tips for preparation and cleaning, a Vitamix can make it easy to get the benefits of wheatgrass. So if you enjoy wheatgrass juice or smoothies, a Vitamix is one of the best blenders to use for processing it.