Blenders have become an essential kitchen appliance for making smoothies, shakes, and other blended drinks. The removable blender cup that comes with the blender makes it easy to blend your drink and take it with you on-the-go. But can these blender cups go in the dishwasher or do they require handwashing? In this article, we’ll look at whether it’s safe to put plastic and glass blender cups in the dishwasher and provide tips for keeping them clean.
The Basics of Blender Cup Materials
Blender cups are usually made from either plastic, like polycarbonate or Tritan, or glass. Here’s a quick overview of these materials:
|Polycarbonate||Durable, impact resistant plastic. Can contain BPA.|
|Tritan||BPA-free plastic alternative. Durable and transparent.|
|Glass||Premium material. Completely non-porous and chemical resistant. Heavy and breakable.|
When considering if a blender cup is dishwasher safe, the material is an important factor. Next let’s look at how the different materials hold up in the dishwasher.
Are Plastic Blender Cups Dishwasher Safe?
Whether plastic blender cups can go in the dishwasher depends on a few factors:
- The plastic material: Polycarbonate cups tend to warp and degrade over time in the dishwasher while Tritan is more heat-resistant.
- The temperature of your dishwasher: Plastics will warp and degrade faster in very hot dishwasher temperatures.
- If the cup is insulated: Insulated cups have an inner and outer wall that can trap water and get damaged.
Here are general dishwasher recommendations for plastic blender cups:
|Polycarbonate||Hand wash only|
|Tritan||Dishwasher safe on low heat/delicate cycle|
|Insulated||Hand wash only|
To help plastic cups last longer, wash them in cool water and skip the heated drying cycle which can slowly warp the plastic over time. And avoid using harsh detergents that can erode plastic over many washings.
Can Glass Blender Cups Go in the Dishwasher?
Glass blender cups are fully dishwasher safe. Unlike plastic, glass won’t warp or degrade with high dishwasher temperatures or harsh detergents. Here are some benefits of washing glass cups in the dishwasher:
- High heat sanitizes the glass and removes stains/residue
- Powerful spray gets into hard to reach areas
- Detergent removes stuck-on ingredients like frozen fruit
One downside is that glass is breakable, so take care when placing it in the dishwasher. Use the top rack away from other items and don’t overcrowd it. You’ll also want to wait until the cycle fully finishes so the cup has time to cool before removing it.
Tips for Hand Washing Blender Cups
For plastic cups that aren’t dishwasher safe or if you prefer hand washing, here are some tips:
- Rinse right after use so food doesn’t get stuck on.
- Use warm soapy water and a bottle brush to get into hard to reach areas.
- Avoid abrasive sponges on plastic that could scratch the surface.
- Let the cup air dry completely before reassembling to prevent mold growth.
And for hand washing glass cups:
- Use warm soapy water but avoid extreme temperature changes to prevent cracks.
- A bottle brush helps scrub away dried on ingredients.
- Rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Inspect for cracks and chips each time before reusing.
Best Practices for Keeping Blender Cups Clean
Here are some additional tips for keeping both plastic and glass blender cups in great shape:
- Don’t let ingredients sit: Wash cups immediately after use.
- Check seals and gaskets regularly and replace if worn.
- Sanitize monthly using heat or sanitizing tablets.
- Avoid harsh scrubbing that can damage plastic or glass.
- Replace cracked, warped, or deteriorating cups.
- Consider buying a second cup so one can be washing while you use the other.
When to Replace Blender Cups
Here are some signs it’s time to replace your blender cup:
- Plastic is warped, cracked, cloudy or has become porous.
- Glass has chips, cracks, or abrasions.
- Leaking around sealed areas and gaskets.
- Staining or discoloration that can’t be removed.
- Retains odors even after washing.
Replacing blender cups every 6 months to a year helps ensure you’re blending with clean, damage-free cups.
Can you put blender cups in the dishwasher? Plastic blender cups may be dishwasher safe depending on the material and if they are insulated. Tritan cups can typically handle the dishwasher on delicate cycles while polycarbonate and insulated cups are best hand washed. Glass blender cups are fully dishwasher safe providing a thorough clean. But all cups require proper care including handwashing, sanitizing, inspection and replacement every 6-12 months for the best results. Follow these tips and your blender cups will give you years of reliable service.