Beetroot juice has become a popular health drink in recent years due to its many potential benefits. Some of the top claimed benefits of drinking beetroot juice include improving energy levels, lowering blood pressure, and aiding weight loss. But can drinking beetroot juice at night really help with weight loss? Let’s take a closer look at the research.
What is beetroot juice?
Beetroot juice is made by juicing fresh beets. It contains high amounts of inorganic nitrates, which are compounds that have various health benefits in the body. Some of the top nutrients found in beetroot juice include:
- Nitrates: Beetroot contains high levels of nitrates which convert to nitric oxide, a molecule that helps relax and dilate blood vessels and improve blood flow.
- Vitamin C: An antioxidant that supports immune function and iron absorption.
- Folate: Important for cell growth and DNA formation.
- Magnesium: Helps regulate blood pressure and supports nerve and muscle function.
- Potassium: Important electrolyte that regulates fluid balance.
The deep red color of beetroot juice comes from betalain pigments such as betanin. These pigments act as antioxidants in the body.
Benefits related to weight loss
There are a few key ways that drinking beetroot juice may support weight loss:
1. Boosts metabolism
Beetroot is low in calories yet nutrient-dense. Drinking beetroot juice can help boost your metabolism which helps you burn more calories throughout the day. The nitrates in beetroot juice help reduce oxygen uptake during exercise, allowing you to burn more calories for the same amount of effort.
2. Suppresses appetite
Some studies have found that drinking beetroot juice may help suppress appetite by slowing down digestion and stabilizing blood sugar levels. The fiber and nutrients in beetroot juice can leave you feeling fuller for longer.
3. Provides nutrients that support fat loss
Beetroot is a low-calorie food yet provides essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that support a healthy metabolism, energy levels, and efficient fat burning. For example, the magnesium in beetroot helps regulate cholesterol, blood glucose, and proteins that influence fat metabolism.
When to drink for maximum benefit
To get the most weight loss benefits from beetroot juice, the optimal time to drink it may be earlier in the day. Here’s why:
- Drinking beetroot juice in the morning can help boost metabolism and energy levels all day long.
- Having it before a workout can enhance your performance and help you burn more calories.
- The natural nitrates in beetroot juice take a while to peak in the body, so earlier consumption allows maximum nitric oxide conversion.
- Beetroot is hydrating so having it earlier prevents you from needing to drink as much before bed.
That being said, having beetroot juice at night a few times per week shouldn’t cause major issues for most people. Any time you consume it will provide benefits.
Potential precautions with nighttime consumption
Here are a few things to keep in mind if you choose to drink beetroot juice at night:
- Digestion issues: Some people may experience increased gas, bloating, or indigestion when drinking beetroot juice close to bedtime. This is due to the high fiber content.
- Sleep disruption: Beetroot is high in nitrates, which some people find provides an energizing effect. This may make it tougher to fall asleep.
- Sugar content: Store-bought beetroot juice often contains added sugars. Consuming sugar close to bedtime can disrupt sleep quality.
- Bathroom trips: The natural diuretic effect of beetroot juice could mean more late-night bathroom visits.
You can reduce the chances of digestive issues by only consuming a small glass, avoiding other high-fiber foods close to bedtime, and sticking to low-sugar varieties. Some people dilute beetroot juice with water which can also help.
How much to drink for weight loss
Studies showing weight loss benefits provided around 2-3 cups (500mL to 750mL) of beetroot juice per day. This seems to be an optimal amount to get enough nitrates and other beetroot nutrients to make a difference.
Drinking much more than this in a day could potentially cause some temporary side effects like beeturia (reddish urine) and low blood pressure. It’s best to stick to about 1-2 cups max at night.
Here is a general beetroot juice dosage chart depending on your goals:
|Goal||Beetroot Juice Dosage|
|General health||1 cup (250mL) per day|
|Pre-workout||1 cup (250mL) 2-3 hours before exercise|
|Lower blood pressure||1-2 cups (250-500mL) per day|
|Weight loss||2-3 cups (500-750mL) per day|
Should you drink beetroot juice at night?
Drinking beetroot juice at night a few times per week should be fine for most people and still provide benefits like improved metabolism, lower blood pressure, and better fat burning. However, consuming it earlier in the day may be best for maximizing weight loss effects and avoiding potential side effects like digestion issues and reduced sleep quality.
The nitrates, fiber, vitamins, and minerals found in beetroot juice can definitely support weight loss when consumed in the recommended daily amounts. Just be mindful of your individual response, and adjust the timing and dosage as needed.
In addition to drinking beetroot juice, remember that a balanced diet and active lifestyle are key for long-term weight management. Beetroot juice can be a healthy addition to help boost your metabolism and enhance your efforts.