Juicing fruits and vegetables is an excellent way to get a concentrated dose of nutrients. Freshly squeezed carrot juice is loaded with beta-carotene, vitamins, and minerals. Carrots are a versatile vegetable that can be used to make a sweet, earthy juice on their own or combined with other produce like apples, ginger or leafy greens.
Breville is a top brand when it comes to juicers. They offer a wide selection of juicer models with different features and at various price points. But can you effectively juice carrots using a Breville juicer? Let’s take a closer look.
Breville Juicers Designed for Carrots
Certain Breville juicer models are specifically engineered to juice fibrous vegetables like carrots. These juicers have a few key features that make them ideal for juicing carrots:
- Powerful motor – A motor with 800+ watts of power can efficiently extract juice from hard vegetables like carrots.
- Big chute – A 3 to 4 inch wide chute allows you to feed whole carrots into the juicer.
- Masticating technology – Masticating juicers crush and “chew” vegetables to get high juice yields.
- Metal auger – Durable augers made of stainless steel can withstand carrot fiber.
Here are some top-rated Breville juicers capable of juicing carrots:
Breville Juice Fountain Cold XL
With a 1,100 watt motor and 3.5 inch chute, the Breville Juice Fountain Cold XL makes quick work of large carrot pieces. It uses a Cold Spin technology that transfers less heat to the juice, preserving nutrients.
Breville Juice Fountain Elite
The 1,000 watt motor and 3 inch chute allow you to juice whole carrots with the Breville Juice Fountain Elite. It extracts juice efficiently thanks to its Italian-made cutting disc and micro mesh filter.
Breville JE98XL Juice Fountain Plus
The Breville JE98XL features an 850 watt dual-speed motor ideal for juicing harder veggies. The extra wide 3 inch feed chute minimizes preparation time.
Tips for Juicing Carrots with a Breville Juicer
Follow these tips to get the maximum amount of nutrient-rich, great tasting carrot juice from your Breville juicer:
- Wash carrots and cut off ends – Give carrots a good scrub to remove dirt. Cut off the stem and root ends.
- Cut carrots to size – For centrifugal juicers, cut carrots into 2-3 inch pieces to fit feed chute. Leave whole for masticating juicers.
- Alternate carrot pieces with softer produce – Alternate juicing carrots with softer fruits/veggies like apples, celery or cucumber. This allows the juicer to self-clean between carrots.
- Juice carrots first – Juice carrots before softer produce to get the most juice. The carrot fiber helps scrub the juicing parts.
- Drink carrot juice right away – Carrot juice oxidizes quickly. Drink freshly made juice immediately to get the most benefits.
Best Breville Models for Juicing Just Carrots
Some Breville juicers are particularly well-suited to juicing carrots if you want to make straight carrot juice. Here are top picks:
Breville BJE830BSS Juice Fountain Cold Centrifugal Juicer
With its 1,100 watt motor, 3.5 inch chute, Cold Spin technology and removable pulp container, the Breville BJE830BSS is ideal for juicing large amounts of carrots. You can juice carrots non-stop and make over a liter of juice.
Breville BJS700SIL Big Squeeze Slow Juicer
The Breville Big Squeeze is a vertical masticating slow juicer. The auger spins at 47 RPM to crush carrots and extract high yields. Minimal heat buildup preserves nutrition.
Breville BJE430SIL Juice Fountain Cold Centrifugal Juicer
The Breville BJE430SIL has an 850 watt motor and Cold Spin technology perfect for juicing fibrous carrots. The 3 inch chute accommodates whole carrots.
Can You Juice Carrot Greens?
Don’t throw away the leafy green tops of carrots! The carrot greens are edible and contain chlorophyll, minerals like potassium, and vitamins like vitamin K. Here’s how to juice them:
- Trim greens from carrots leaving about 1 inch attached.
- Rinse greens well.
- Juice carrot greens before carrots.
- For centrifugal juicers, feed greens in slowly while pushing the food pusher down firmly.
- Drink greens within a day due to rapid nutrient breakdown.
The Breville Juice Fountain Cold XL has an adjustable speed control, allowing you to set a low speed ideal for juicing delicate greens.
Troubleshooting Carrot Juicing with Breville
Here are some troubleshooting tips if you have problems juicing carrots with your Breville juicer:
|Carrot pieces keep jamming the juicer
|Low carrot juice yield
|Too much carrot pulp in juice
|Carrot juice foams or froths
Can Other Root Veggies be Juiced?
Due to their hardy texture, root vegetables like carrots, beets, parsnips and celery root are ideal for juicing. You can juice the following roots with a powerful Breville juicer like the Juice Fountain Plus:
- Beets – Trim ends, cut into chunks. Juice beets first before softer produce.
- Parsnips – Wash, peel, and cut into spears. Alternate parsnip pieces with other veggies.
- Celery root – Peel thoroughly, cut into cubes no larger than 2 inches.
- Radishes – Wash radishes, trim ends. No need to peel.
When experimenting with root vegetables, follow general juicing guidelines. Cut pieces to fit the juicer chute. Juice roots before softer veggies and fruits. Drink juice immediately after juicing.
Popular Carrot Juice Combinations
For the best tasting and most nutritious carrot juice, try combining carrots with the following:
Carrot Apple Juice
Apples complement the earthy flavor of carrots. They add sweetness and balance the juice. A ratio of 3 carrots to 1 apple works well.
Carrot Celery Juice
Celery has a fresh, savory flavor. Combine 3 carrots with 2 celery stalks for a savory veggie juice.
Carrot Pineapple Juice
Pineapple brightens up carrot juice. Blend 3 carrots with 1 cup of fresh pineapple chunks for a tropical flavor.
Carrot Ginger Juice
Ginger adds a subtle heat and enhances the overall flavor. Add a 1 inch knob of fresh ginger when juicing 3-4 carrots.
Carrot Beet Juice
Beets have an earthy sweetness that complements carrot’s flavor. Combine 4 carrots with 1 small beet for a nutritious juice.
Nutritional Benefits of Carrot Juice
Drinking carrot juice provides many excellent health benefits. Here are some of the top nutrients found in fresh carrot juice and their benefits:
|This antioxidant is converted to vitamin A to support eye health and boost immunity.
|Vitamin C helps build collagen, aids immunity, and acts as an antioxidant.
|B vitamins help convert food into energy and build red blood cells.
|Potassium helps control blood pressure and counters sodium in the diet.
|Carrots contain antioxidants like lutein and lycopene that reduce oxidative stress in the body.
Due to the high fiber content, drinking carrot juice can also improve digestion and gut health.
Best Practices When Juicing Carrots
Follow these tips to safely juice carrots at home and make nutritious carrot juice:
- Purchase organic carrots when possible or thoroughly scrub conventional carrots.
- Watch out for moldy or slimy carrots and avoid juicing them.
- Peel carrots if not labelled organic to decrease pesticide exposure.
- Cut away any bruised or damaged parts of carrots before juicing.
- Never gulp down carrot juice. Drink slowly and enjoy!
Wash all produce before juicing. Disassemble and clean your juicer thoroughly after each use.
Storing Carrot Juice
Like most vegetables, carrot juice oxidizes quickly when exposed to air. For best quality and nutrition, drink freshly made carrot juice immediately. Here are some storage tips:
- Drink carrot juice within 24 hours.
- Store in an airtight glass jar with a tight lid.
- Fill jar all the way leaving little air.
- Refrigerate juice and consume chilled.
- Avoid freezing as this causes texture and flavor changes.
If carrot juice takes on a brown, dull appearance or smells unpleasant, it is best to discard it.
With their powerful motors and efficient juicing systems, Breville juicers like the Juice Fountain Plus and Juice Fountain Cold XL can efficiently extract large amounts ofnutrient-dense juice from carrots. For maximum yields, choose a model with an 800+ watt motor, 3-4 inch chute, and well-engineered juicing parts. Follow proper preparation and juicing guidelines. Combine carrots with apples, ginger or greens for a flavorful and healthy homemade juice.