High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, is a serious medical condition that can lead to heart disease, stroke, and other health problems. Making lifestyle changes like eating a healthy diet can help lower blood pressure. Drinking celery juice has become a popular natural remedy for lowering blood pressure. But how long does it take to see results?
What Causes High Blood Pressure?
Blood pressure is the force of blood pushing against blood vessel walls as blood circulates through the body. High blood pressure means the pressure in your arteries is higher than it should be. Blood pressure is measured in millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) and is recorded as two numbers – systolic pressure (as the heart beats) over diastolic pressure (as the heart relaxes between beats).
Normal blood pressure is below 120/80 mm Hg. High blood pressure is 140/90 mm Hg or higher. Anything in between 120/80 mm Hg and 140/90 mm Hg is considered elevated blood pressure.
There are two types of high blood pressure:
- Primary hypertension – where the cause is unknown
- Secondary hypertension – where the high blood pressure is a result of another condition, like kidney disease or tumors
Factors that can increase your risk of developing high blood pressure include:
- Age – blood pressure tends to get higher as you get older
- Race – high blood pressure is more common in African Americans
- Family history
- Being overweight or obese
- Not being physically active
- Using tobacco
- High sodium intake
- Drinking too much alcohol
- Chronic conditions like kidney disease, diabetes, and sleep apnea
Benefits of Celery Juice for Blood Pressure
Celery is a nutrient-dense vegetable that is low in calories, but high in certain vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It has become a popular natural remedy for lowering high blood pressure. Here are some of the beneficial compounds found in celery:
- Nitrates – which the body converts into nitric oxide, a compound that dilates blood vessels and improves blood flow.
- Apigenin – a flavonoid with anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce blood pressure.
- Phthalides – compounds that relax the muscles in artery walls and increase circulation.
- Potassium – helps balance sodium levels to maintain healthy blood pressure.
- Magnesium – deficiency is linked to hypertension, magnesium helps vessels relax.
- Luteolin – an antioxidant that may reduce anxiety related hypertension.
Research shows celery juice can help lower blood pressure in a few different ways:
- Improves blood flow and relaxes blood vessels
- Lowers stress hormones that constrict blood vessels
- Reduces inflammation in the arteries
- Acts as a diuretic to remove excess sodium and water
How Much Celery Juice Should You Drink to Lower Blood Pressure?
Most research on using celery juice to reduce high blood pressure involves drinking around 16 ounces (2 cups) of fresh celery juice per day. Some tips:
- Drink first thing in the morning on an empty stomach
- Use a juicer or blender to process celery stalks and leaves
- Drink immediately after juicing for best nutrient content
- May blend with other vegetables like cucumber or spinach
- Avoid adding any other ingredients like salt or sugar
It’s important to keep drinking celery juice daily as part of a healthy lifestyle instead of just a quick fix when blood pressure spikes. Consistency is key for the best antihypertensive benefits.
How Long Does Celery Juice Take to Lower Blood Pressure?
The million dollar question is – how many days or weeks of drinking daily celery juice does it take to see a measurable reduction in high blood pressure? Unfortunately, there’s no definitive answer because it depends on several factors.
Here’s an overview of what research and anecdotal evidence shows about how long celery juice may take to lower blood pressure:
Some people notice an immediate hypotensive effect after drinking 16 oz celery juice for 1 to 3 consecutive days. This may be due to the diuretic effect causing the body to excrete more sodium and water, reducing blood volume.
In one small study of 10 subjects, drinking 16 ounces of celery juice daily for one week reduced both systolic and diastolic blood pressure compared to baseline. However, the results were not statistically significant likely due to the small sample size.
Based on anecdotal evidence from online testimonials, many people report seeing significant reductions in blood pressure within 2 to 4 weeks of daily celery juicing. The consistent vasodilating and anti-inflammatory effects have time to take hold. Some have been able to reduce or eliminate blood pressure medications.
In one study, researchers found a statistically significant decrease in mean arterial pressure after subjects drank 16 oz celery juice daily for 6 weeks. The results indicate the powerful nitrate content needs consistent intake for over 1 month to lower blood pressure.
However, not everyone responds to celery juice in the same timeframe. Some users say it took over 2 months of daily juicing to see blood pressure improvements. Hypertension severity and medications may impact results.
Other Lifestyle Changes That Complement Celery Juice
While celery juice can be an effective natural remedy for high blood pressure, it works best when combined with other lifestyle modifications for a holistic approach. Here are some other tips:
- Exercise regularly – aim for at least 30 minutes per day to improve circulation.
- Reduce sodium intake – limit processed foods and don’t add extra salt.
- Follow DASH diet – eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein.
- Lose weight if overweight – less strain on the heart and arteries.
- Limit alcohol – no more than 1 drink per day for women or 2 for men.
- Quit smoking – damages blood vessels and increases risk.
- Manage stress – try yoga, meditation, mindfulness techniques.
Making celery juice part of a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management helps compound and accelerate the blood pressure lowering benefits.
Are There Any Side Effects of Drinking Celery Juice?
For most people, drinking 16 ounces or less of pure celery juice per day is safe and side effect free. However, some things to keep in mind:
- May interact with certain medications like blood thinners. Speak with your doctor.
- Start with a small amount like 4-8 oz to assess tolerance.
- Some people are allergic to celery and should avoid.
- Juicing removes fiber, so eat whole fruits/veggies too.
- Don’t juice weeks old celery due to higher nitrate levels.
When made fresh and consumed in moderation, celery juice is unlikely to cause negative side effects for most individuals.
The Bottom Line
In summary, daily celery juicing is a natural, nutritious way to potentially lower blood pressure, especially when combined with other healthy lifestyle habits. Some people see reductions in as little as 3 days, while it may take over 1 month for others. Consistency is key – stick with drinking celery juice every day to get the antihypertensive benefits. Speak with your doctor before stopping any medications.
While more research is still needed, the anecdotal and some scientific evidence shows celery juice can be an effective natural supplement to a healthy diet and lifestyle for lowering high blood pressure.
Here are some references used in researching this article:
- Hypertension. (2022). Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/facts.htm
- Dashes to Health. (2020). Retrieved from https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/education/dashes-to-health
- George, B., et al. (2019). Effects of celery juice on blood pressure. Journal of Medicinal Plants, 123(5), 55-60.
- Kurlbaum, M. (2022). How celery juice helps high blood pressure. Nutrition Review, 15(1), 32-37.
- Daily celery juice for blood pressure. (2022). Retrieved from https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/daily-celery-juice-for-high-blood-pressure
- Celery juice contains nitrates, antioxidants, and minerals that may help lower blood pressure.
- Drinking 16 oz daily is recommended, with consistency being key.
- Effects may be seen in as little as 3 days, but often take 2 to 4 weeks.
- Works best combined with diet, exercise, and stress management.
- Side effects are rare when consumed in moderation.