Green juices and smoothies have become incredibly popular in recent years. From busy professionals to health-conscious families, people are turning to these drinks as an easy and tasty way to increase their nutrient intake. But with so many different combinations of fruits and vegetables out there, how do you know which green drink is the best? One green juice, in particular, has developed quite a cult following – the famous Mean Green Juice.
What is Mean Green Juice?
Mean Green Juice is a simple yet powerful blend of fruits, vegetables, and leafy greens. It typically contains some combination of kale, collard greens, spinach, parsley, broccoli, celery, cucumber, green apples, lemon, and ginger. The exact ingredients can vary, but kale and green apples tend to be staples in most Mean Green Juice recipes. It has a bright green color and refreshing flavor.
This juice was initially created and popularized by celebrity trainer Joe Cross in the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. In an effort to regain his health after years of being overweight and on medications, Joe embarked on a 60-day juice fast. He created the Mean Green Juice as a nutrient-dense beverage to consume during his fast. The movie inspired thousands of people to try juicing and many adopted Joe’s signature Mean Green Juice drink.
So why has Mean Green Juice become so popular? Simply put, it packs a serious nutritional punch. Here is a look at some of the key vitamins, minerals, and health benefits found in a typical Mean Green Juice:
|Vitamin A||Supports immune function and vision health|
|Vitamin C||Powerful antioxidant that boosts immunity and collagen production|
|Vitamin K||Important for blood clotting and bone health|
|Potassium||Helps regulate blood pressure and fluid balance|
|Fiber||Promotes digestion, gut health, and weight management|
|Chlorophyll||Powerful detoxifier and anti-inflammatory|
|Antioxidants||Protects cells from damage and fights inflammation|
The kale, spinach, parsley, broccoli, and other greens provide vitamin K, vitamin A, fiber, chlorophyll, and a wide range of antioxidants. The green apples offer vitamin C and additional antioxidants. The lemon boosts vitamin C while the ginger aids in digestion and controlling inflammation.
Research has found that increased intake of fruits and vegetables, like those found in Mean Green Juice, is associated with a reduced risk of many chronic diseases. The diverse combination provides a megadose of nutrition to help energize your body and supercharge your health.
If you’re looking to slim down, Mean Green Juice can be an effective part of your weight loss strategy. Here’s a look at some of the ways this juice promotes weight loss:
- Low in calories and high in nutrients – You can consume a large volume of juice without significantly increasing calorie intake.
- High satiety – The fiber and nutrients help you feel fuller compared to sugary beverages.
- Increases fat burning – The compounds in green tea and broccoli may boost metabolism.
- Rich in antioxidants – These help reduce inflammation which is linked to obesity.
- Boosts energy – More energy makes it easier to be active and burn extra calories.
- Nutrient support – Provides nutrients that aid weight loss like vitamin C and potassium.
Drinking Mean Green Juice makes it easier to cut back on processed foods and satisfy hunger between meals. Many people find juicing helps reduce cravings and overeating.
Mean Green Juice provides powerful detoxification support for your entire body. The greens, ginger, and lemon help remove toxins, reduce oxidative stress, and support the liver’s natural detox processes. Some specific ways this juice detoxifies include:
|Chlorophyll from greens||Binds to and removes heavy metals and toxins|
|Broccoli sprouts||High in detoxifying compounds like sulforaphane|
|Lemon||Aids liver function and flushes out toxins|
|Ginger||Stimulates circulation and sweating to remove waste|
|Fiber||Binds to toxins in digestive tract for elimination|
A juice detox using Mean Green Juice is an excellent way to flush out environmental pollutants, pesticides, metals, and other harmful compounds. This can rejuvenate your body and allow your natural detoxification systems to function optimally.
One of the first things people notice when drinking Mean Green Juice regularly is an increase in energy levels. Several factors contribute to the energizing effects of this beverage:
- Vitamins – B vitamins and vitamin C directly support energy production.
- Minerals – Electrolytes like potassium, sodium and magnesium are essential for energy function.
- Carbohydrates – The natural sugars in the juice provide fast fuel for your cells.
- Phytonutrients – These compounds optimize cellular metabolism.
- Oxygenation – Chlorophyll enhances oxygen transport for energy.
- Hydration – Being well-hydrated prevents fatigue.
The nutrients in Mean Green Juice feeds your cells and sparks your natural vitality. The burst of energy from this juice can help power you through workouts, busy days, and counteract chronic fatigue.
If you frequently suffer from gastrointestinal issues like bloating, indigestion, and constipation,Mean Green Juice can help get your system back on track. Here are some of the ingredients and benefits:
|Fiber||Adds bulk to stool and reduces constipation|
|Ginger||Soothes nausea, stimulates digestion, and reduces bloating|
|Lemon||Encourages bile flow to improve digestion|
|Green apple||Provides prebiotics to feed good gut bacteria|
|Chlorophyll||May improve intestinal inflammation and leaky gut|
|Minerals||Electrolytes prevent fluid retention|
Drinking green juices helps restore balance in your gut microbiome, which lays the foundation for optimal digestion and health. The living enzymes and nutrients in the juice make it considerably easier to break down and absorb than processed foods.
The combination of antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals in Mean Green Juice supplies your body with compounds that have been shown to increase longevity. Some of these include:
- Vitamin C – Lowers risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer.
- Vitamin K – Essential for bone and vascular health as you age.
- Sulforaphane – Potent antioxidant that may protect brain function.
- Lutein – Carotenoid that defends against macular degeneration.
- Quercetin – Flavonoid with anti-inflammatory effects on aging.
- Nitrates – Improves circulation and oxygenation throughout the body.
Research confirms that eating more fruits and vegetables is one of the most effective ways to increase not just lifespan, but healthspan – your years of good health as you age. Drinking Mean Green Juice floods your cells with compounds that slow aging on a cellular level.
Your immune system acts as your body’s defense against disease and illness. Fortunately, the ingredients in Mean Green Juice provide ammunition for your immune cells:
|Vitamin C||Major antioxidant that enhances immune cells|
|Vitamin A||Supports antibody production|
|Ginger||Anti-inflammatory that inhibits Cold/Flu viruses|
|Zinc||Increases immune cell maturation and response|
|Beta-Carotene||Converts to immune-boosting vitamin A|
Including Mean Green Juice as part of your regular diet provides constant reinforcement for immune function. This makes you more resilient against viruses, bacteria, and other pathogens you encounter.
How to Include It In Your Diet
Hopefully you’re convinced of the many benefits offered by Mean Green Juice. But how much should you drink and how do you incorporate it into your overall diet? Here are some tips:
- Have 4-8 ounces daily to supplement your diet with extra nutrition.
- Consume 16-32 ounces as a meal replacement for breakfast or lunch.
- Do a 3 to 5-day “juice cleanse” a few times per year, using mainly Mean Green Juice to give your body a detox.
- Add in other fresh juices like carrot, beet, celery, cucumber to mix up flavors and nutrients.
- Include smoothies enhanced with plant-based proteins like hemp, pea or sprouted brown rice protein.
- Always consume your juice immediately after making it to preserve nutrients.
It’s best to introduce Mean Green Juice gradually to allow your body to adjust. Be sure to chew your juice thoroughly to prevent bloating. Listen to your body and find the juicing regimen that makes you feel your absolute best!
Make Juicing Easy
While making Mean Green Juice at home allows you to customize ingredients, it can also be time-consuming. Here are some tips to streamline the process:
- Grow your own organic greens and herbs for juicing.
- Make juice in batches and store portions in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 72 hours.
- Consider buying pre-made green juices until you’re ready to start juicing at home.
- Invest in a quality juicer that’s easy to use and clean.
- Always prep and chop ingredients ahead of time.
- Get the whole family involved in washing, prepping and juicing.
With the right equipment and preparation, you can make enough Mean Green Juice to last for several days. This makes it easy to enjoy the vitality and nutrition of juicing on a regular basis.
Incorporating Mean Green Juice into your diet is one of the fastest ways to infuse your body with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytochemicals. This simple green concoction packs a serious nutritional punch. Drinking it regularly provides benefits ranging from improved energy and digestion to weight loss, immunity and longevity. Make Mean Green Juice a staple beverage and enjoy the boost it gives your mental and physical health.