Making delicious milkshakes at home is easy with the right equipment. The key piece of equipment for making smooth, creamy milkshakes is a blender designed specifically for making milkshakes and other frozen drinks. Let’s take a closer look at what this type of blender is called and why it’s the best choice for milkshake making.
A blender designed specifically for making milkshakes and frozen drinks is most commonly called a “milkshake blender” or “milkshake machine.” This type of blender has a number of features that make it uniquely suited for blending thick, frozen milkshakes:
- Powerful motor – Milkshake blenders have very powerful motors (usually 500 watts or higher) that can handle blending thick, frozen ingredients without overheating or stalling.
- Blending jar design – The jar is taller and narrower than a typical countertop blender jar. This promotes thorough mixing and incorporates air for a smooth, creamy texture.
- Mixing paddle – An agitator paddle is mounted on the blender jar lid. It continuously scrapes and mixes the ingredients while blending.
- Cold function – Some milkshake blenders have a cold function that allows you to blend extra cold drinks by first chilling the mixing jar in the freezer.
- Commercial grade – Milkshake blenders are designed for frequent use. They have heavy-duty parts and motors that allow them to withstand daily use in busy restaurants and diners.
Why Use a Milkshake Blender?
You may be wondering why you can’t just use a regular countertop blender to make milkshakes at home. While you can make milkshakes in any blender, a milkshake machine has clear advantages:
|Countertop Blender||Milkshake Blender|
|Lower powered motor||Very powerful motor designed for thick shakes|
|Wider, shorter jar||Tall, narrow jar promotes thorough mixing|
|No mixing paddle||Built-in mixing paddle for constant mixing|
|Not designed for frequent use||Heavy-duty for commercial use|
A milkshake blender is engineered specifically to blend thick, icy milkshakes. The powerful motor, mixing paddle, and tall jar result in smooth shakes with no ice chunks. You’ll get diner-quality milkshakes every time.
Popular Milkshake Blender Models
There are a number of excellent milkshake blenders on the market. Here are some of the most popular models:
Waring MX1000XTX Commercial Blender
The Waring MX1000XTX is designed for commercial use but is also popular for home milkshake making. It has a 3.5 peak horsepower motor, stainless steel blending jar, and heavy-duty base. The jar shape and mixing paddle result in smooth, lump-free shakes.
Vitamix E310 Explorian Blender
While not exclusively a milkshake blender, the Vitamix E310 is a great choice for homemade shakes. The aircraft-grade stainless steel blades and powerful motor blend frozen shakes creamy and smooth. It features variable speed control and a pulse function.
Ninja Professional Blender CT682SP
The Ninja CT682SP is an affordable but powerful milkshake and frozen drink blender. The Total Crushing Technology provides even blending. The large 72 oz. pitcher has plenty of room for multiple servings.
Hamilton Beach Commercial Blender
Hamilton Beach’s commercial bar blender is ideal for milkshakes and other frozen drinks. The heavyweight motor powers through thick shakes. It has a durable stainless steel blending jar and patented Ice Sabre blades.
Milkshake Blender Features to Look For
When shopping for a dedicated milkshake blender, keep these key features in mind:
- Motor power – Aim for at least 500 watts for blending thick shakes.
- Blending jar design – Tall and narrow is best to thoroughly incorporate air.
- Mixing paddle – Models with an agitator paddle blend smoother shakes.
- Easy to clean – Look for dishwasher-safe and BPA-free blender jars.
- Commercial grade – Heavy-duty construction for frequent use.
- Warranty – At least a 1-year warranty on parts.
Prioritize a powerful motor and specialized jar design to get perfect milkshake consistency every time.
How to Use a Milkshake Blender
Using a milkshake blender is easy if you follow a few simple steps:
- Gather ingredients – ice cream, milk, flavorings like chocolate syrup or fruit.
- Combine in blender jar – break up ice cream and alternate with liquid ingredients.
- Secure lid – make sure the lid and included cap/plug are tightly sealed.
- Blend on high – blend for 1-2 minutes until thoroughly mixed and creamy.
- Stop and stir if needed – use a long spoon to push unblended ingredients into the blades.
- Pour and enjoy – pour into your favorite milkshake glass and top with whipped cream if desired.
Tips for the best milkshakes:
- Use very cold ice cream straight from the freezer.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of milk for every 1 cup of ice cream to reach ideal consistency.
- Let the machine run for 1-2 minutes for complete blending.
- Add fun toppings like chocolate chips, crushed cookies, or candy pieces after blending.
Cleaning and Maintenance
With proper cleaning and maintenance, a milkshake blender will provide years of service. Here are some tips for keeping your machine in top shape:
- Clean after each use – Disassemble and wash blender jar, lid, paddle, and cap in hot soapy water or dishwasher.
- Avoid harsh cleaners – Stick to dish soap and water or diluted vinegar solution to clean.
- Inspect blender parts – Check for cracks in plastic components. Replace worn or damaged parts.
- Regularly sanitize – Sanitize blender jar and parts by blending a sanitizing solution on high speed.
- Wash gaskets – Remove and wash rubber gaskets regularly to prevent mold growth.
- Check blade sharpness – Inspect blades for dullness or damage. Replace if needed.
By regularly cleaning all components and replacing worn parts as needed, your milkshake blender will continue churning out thick, creamy shakes for years.
While milkshakes are best enjoyed freshly made, you can store leftovers in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. Here are some tips for freezing milkshakes:
- Pour into freezer-safe containers leaving 1-2 inches of headspace to allow for expansion.
- Cover tightly with lid or plastic wrap, squeezing out excess air.
- Label container with contents and date.
- Freeze for 4-6 hours or overnight until completely solid.
- For best texture, use within 2-3 months.
To serve a frozen milkshake, remove from freezer and let sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes to soften slightly. Garnish with whipped cream and enjoy!
Milkshake blenders are designed to handle frequent frozen drink making. But occasionally issues can arise. Here are some common milkshake blender problems and how to troubleshoot them:
|Blender overflows||Too much liquid added||Reduce amount of milk/liquid|
|Ice cream sticks to sides||Jar not filled enough||Add more ice cream to fill jar|
|Lumpy texture||Ice cream not broken up enough||Break up ice cream better before blending|
|Burnt smell||Blender overheated||Let blender cool before more use|
|Leaks at base||Gasket worn or loose||Remove and replace gasket|
Be sure to unplug the milkshake blender and allow components to fully stop moving before disassembling to address any issues. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for further troubleshooting tips specific to your model.
Milkshake blenders are fast and powerful appliances. Follow these tips for safe operation:
- Read manufacturer’s instructions before use.
- Operate only when blender jar is securely locked on base.
- Do not fill jar past maximum fill line.
- Start blender at lowest speed and gradually increase.
- Keep hands, hair, clothing away from moving parts.
- Unplug when not in use.
- Supervise use by children.
- Unplug before disassembling or cleaning.
- Inspect for damaged parts or frayed cords.
- Do not submerge base in water.
Exercising caution and care when operating your milkshake blender will allow you to safely enjoy delicious shakes for years to come!
A blender designed specifically for milkshakes is aptly called a milkshake blender or milkshake machine. Key features like a powerful motor, mixing paddle, and tall jar allow these machines to blend thick, frozen shakes to creamy perfection. Investing in a quality milkshake blender for home use allows you to create diner-style shakes whenever a cold and creamy treat calls. With proper use and care, a milkshake blender should provide reliable service for many years.