Pineapple is a delicious and nutritious fruit that can be a great addition to fresh juices. The sweet, tropical flavor of pineapple goes well with a variety of other fruits and vegetables. Juicing pineapple with the right combinations can create flavorful and vitamin-packed drinks. This article will explore the best fruits, veggies, and herbs to pair with pineapple to make tasty and healthy juice blends.
Benefits of Pineapple Juice
Before getting into pineapple juice combinations, let’s look at some of the main benefits of pineapple juice:
- High in vitamin C – One cup contains 131% of your daily recommended intake of immune-boosting vitamin C.
- Contains bromelain – This enzyme has anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce swelling and nasal congestion.
- High in manganese – An essential mineral that aids bone health, metabolism, and nutrient absorption.
- May boost immunity – The vitamin C, vitamin B6, and bromelain can help strengthen the immune system.
- Supports digestion – Bromelain helps break down proteins and reduces gut inflammation.
The nutrition profile of pineapple makes it a smart choice for juicing. Now let’s explore the best flavor combinations.
Fruity Pineapple Juice Blends
Pairing pineapple with sweeter fruits like oranges, apples, and melons creates a tropical fruit juice burst. Fruits that complement the flavor of pineapple include:
|Orange||Vitamin C, folate|
|Strawberry||Vitamin C, manganese|
|Grapefruit||Vitamin C, potassium|
|Kiwi||Vitamin C, potassium|
|Mango||Vitamins A, C, potassium|
Adding just one or two of these fruits to pineapple can create a refreshing and nutrient-dense beverage. For example, pineapple orange juice will supply a hefty dose of immune-strengthening vitamin C. Pineapple kiwi juice will also provide lots of C as well as potassium. A pineapple watermelon juice will hydrate with the watermelon and provide the vitamin C and bromelain from the pineapple.
Vegetable Pineapple Combinations
In addition to fruit, pineapple can be blended with certain vegetables to make a savory juice. Vegetables that go well with the sweet tang of pineapple include:
|Cucumber||Hydration, vitamin K|
|Celery||Antioxidants, vitamin K|
|Spinach||Vitamins A, C, iron|
|Kale||Vitamins A, C, calcium|
These vegetables add their own set of nutrients and flavors that complement pineapple’s tropical taste. Pineapple celery juice is refreshing and hydrating. Pineapple spinach or kale juice provides antioxidants and chlorophyll. Adding beets to pineapple amps up the vitamin and mineral content.
Herbs and Spices
Certain fresh herbs and spices can add another layer of flavor and health benefits to pineapple juices. Here are some good options:
Mint is a classic complement to pineapple that helps promote digestion. Basil and cilantro pair nicely and give a savory boost. Spicy ginger can also liven up a pineapple juice.
Juice Blend Inspiration
Here are some juicing ideas that use complementary fruits, vegetables, and herbs to create delicious pineapple juice combos:
|Juice Blend Name||Ingredients|
|Tropical Green||Pineapple, kale, kiwi, ginger|
|Orange Pineapple Zinger||Pineapple, orange, ginger|
|Pineapple Cucumber Mint Refresher||Pineapple, cucumber, mint|
|Green Pineapple Beet||Pineapple, spinach, beets|
|Piña Colada||Pineapple, coconut water, lime juice|
There are endless combinations you can try with pineapple juice. Get creative with different fruit, vegetable and herb additions to discover new favorite juices.
How to Juice Pineapples
Here is a simple step-by-step guide to prepping and juicing pineapples:
- Choose a fresh, ripe pineapple – Pick one that is heavy for its size with sweet smelling fragrance.
- Cut off top and bottom – Slice off the leafy green top and small base bottom.
- Peel skin – Use a sharp knife to cut away the tough outer skin.
- Trim away “eyes” – Cut out the woody brown oval-shaped eyes.
- Cube pineapple flesh – Cut pineapple into 1-2 inch cubes.
- Juice the cubes – Place cubes into your juicer and juice according to appliance directions.
- Mix with other ingredients – Combine pineapple juice with your desired fruits, veggies or herbs.
- Enjoy immediately – Drink juice right away for maximum nutrients.
This makes a basic pineapple juice. Adjust proportions based on your juicer yield and preferences. You may need to alternate adding pineapple with softer fruits or herbs to prevent clogging.
Choosing a Juicer
You can use a blender, food processor, or juicer to make pineapple juices. Here is a comparison of different appliance options:
A juicer is best for separating pulp and optimizing pineapple juice yield. Centrifugal and masticating juicers are common types. Centrifugal are faster while masticating retain more nutrients. Choose one that fits your budget and juicing needs.
Follow these tips for getting the most from pineapple juicing:
- Wash all produce thoroughly.
- Prep ingredients by peeling, seeding, etc. before juicing.
- Cut produce into pieces that will fit through juicer chute.
- Alternate hard and soft produce when juicing.
- Juice softer ingredients like pineapple first.
- Serve juice immediately or store in airtight container in fridge up to 72 hours.
- Consider adding chia seeds, protein powder or nut milk to juices for a nutrient and thickness boost.
With the right juicer and some recipe experimentation, you can create amazing pineapple-based juices. Pair pineapple with complementary fruits, veggies and herbs for delicious flavor combinations and nutrition.
Pineapple makes a nutritious and tasty addition to fresh juices. It blends well with fruits like orange, apple, kiwi and strawberry to create sweet tropical flavors. For more savory juices, mix pineapple with vegetables including spinach, kale, cucumber, celery or beets. Herbs like mint, basil and ginger also complement pineapple’s flavor profile. With the fiber removed, pineapple juice is easily absorbed and provides immune-strengthening vitamin C, digestion-enhancing bromelain, and more. Drink your juices fresh to get the most benefits. Equipped with the right juicer and some creative combinations, you can make delicious pineapple juices part of a healthy diet.