The Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite is a high capacity, centrifugal juicer with moderate pricing & many features usually found only in more expensive juicers.
But what does ‘Dual Knife Assembly’ mean?
The dual knife blade assembly, a system of knives designed to chop fruit and veg down into a manageable size for best extraction, is complemented by a micro mesh filter to reduce pulp and increase yields of more pure, healthy, juice.
This juicer even boasts a dual speed control, designed to process any fruits and vegetables with relatively tough skins, high fibre, soft pulp and some leafy greens.
If you are looking for a centrifugal juicer, then this may just suit your needs. (Don’t know what centrifugal or masticating juicers are, then read our article Masticating vs Centrifugal.)
Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite Review
The 800JEXL is powerful. With a 1000 watts of power and special titanium edged blades, most foods are shredded into a fine pulp in seconds. That is the jewel for this juicer. It has speed!
Not only that, the parts (except the filter) are all dishwasher safe. So you can juice and clean pretty quickly, and the handy supplied brush is great for cleaning the filter basket as soon as you finish. (Pro tip: clean straight away, or dried on pulp will become rock hard and almost impossible to remove!)
Let’s look at some of the Pros and Cons.
Breville 800 JEXL Juicer Pros
- Powerful Motor – 1000 watt motor spinning up to 13000 rpm on high speed, and as low as 6500 rpm on low speed.
- Easy Cleaning – All parts, except the filter, are dishwasher safe and easy to clean. It also comes with a supplied brush too.
- Pulp-free Juice – The fine mesh filter is excellent in straining pulp from the liquid that has been spun to produce a fresh-tasting juice.
- Extra wide chute – This is great for large pieces of fruit or veg, though the 800JEXL will struggle with orange and lemon peel. Pineapple and apples, grapes and other soft-skinned fruit doesn’t have a problem with it at all and can be juiced with the skin on.
- Titanium Reinforced Blades – For long-lasting the blades are toughened to rip through tough veg without damaging the machine.
- Safety cut off Switch – An overheating cut off switch is added to ensure your juicer is protected from being damaged by the getting too hot. Simple to reset and get going once it cools down a little bit.
Breville 800JEXL Juicer Cons
- Noisy – Okay, the motor is loud, but the speed is so quick that you may be able to forgive the noise on account of it not being on for long.
- Waste – There are some reviews that suggest that the pulp is not completely strained on exit from the filter, so there is a higher waste consideration.
- No good for Leafy Greens – Yes I know you know the trick for wrapping those leafy veg around something hard to ensure proper juicing, but the 800JEXL is not brilliant at those leafy greens.
- Excess foam – Watch out for this one. The faster the motor spins the more foam you seem to get and depending on your opinion, that may cause your fruit juice to spoil quicker. Not an issue if you drink it straight away, but no good to keep in the fridge for a few days.
- 1 Year Warranty – Really Breville! This has to be the biggest let down for me. At this price, you would have thought that Breville, a well-known make, would have a bit more confidence in their appliances.
The Finer Details
The Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain is certainly a great juicer. It has the speed and power to smash through most fruits and veg and with a little bit of care for harder skinned food, it will whizz through that quickly and efficiently too.
The 800JEXL is large though and that may be a consideration for the smaller kitchen. It will take up quite a bit of sideboard space. If you plan on putting it away each time you will need a large cupboard to put it in too.
This juicer is mostly stainless steel, which is great for those conscious about plastics and their possible contamination with food. The blades are titanium coated to offer strength and durability and the locking handle ensure it is safe before being operated.
Many folks found that the wide neck allowed for easy juices in the morning. A quick juice is certainly what the 800JEXL can do. Then a quick wash in some warm water and leave the items in the dishwasher to clean. Scrub the filter or leave it to soak till you return and that’s you done for the day.
The 1-year warranty was a great disappointment. Why would a company this large and successful not have more confidence in their own appliances? You could, of course, buy the extended warranty but then this doesn’t become as cost-effective as it should have been and you might want to consider the Omega J8006.
I didn’t find that there was much waste from this juicer, though I no longer have it, but a few reviews spoke about a lot of waste from it. That the pulp was left quite wet. If that’s the case then it would become very costly to continue to operate if you were using it on a daily basis. If its the odd weekend and weekday then it will suit you fine. (I am interested to know if you have one what you think.)
I have to mention leafy greens because as I improved my recipes and experimented I moved to trying out new and wonderful flavours and nutrients. This juicer will struggle to provide a decent amount of liquid for you unless the leaves are particularly juicy.
A tip that I use when I use centrifugal juicers is to wrap harder fruits and veg in the leaves to extract the maximum amount of juice but it is a bit hit and miss. So if you are beginning to get into the vegetable juices, then you ought to be considering a masticating juicer like the one I own.
A note on excess foam must also be mentioned as this juicer really does mash the food so fine and quickly that you do end up with a lot of froth. This may and may not be an issue if you are planning on juicing a whole load of fruit for the next few days as it seems food spoils quicker when it has been oxidised like that.
If you are only making the juice for that day, then its perfect and fresh. The dual speed allows for a good combination of juices and on most occasions an almost pulp-free juice. Just what you need to start the day!
The Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite is a great Juicer for speed and its stainless steel quality. The one year warranty, excess foam and noise are a little concerning, but if you want an easy clean and quick occasional juice then this just may be the one you will choose.
It would be great to hear from you regarding a juicer you have or ones that you are looking at purchasing. If you have used the Breville before let me know too. I just love talking juices. Thanks for stopping by.