The Breville BJE430SIL or better known as The Juice Fountain Cold is a centrifugal juicer, however, this is Breville’s first product that is looking to satisfy both needs of the masticating and centrifugal user, by creating a hybrid of the two.
Can a centrifugal Juicer ever be a Masticating Juicer in disguise?
Let’s take a look at the unique features this juicer has to offer, and I’ll let you decide if it meets that criteria.
Breville BJE430SIL Juice Fountain Cold Review
This short video at the very least gives you an insight into the way the juicer works, and especially for you to see how much froth is produced. I like the way the jug holds the froth away from the liquid when you pour the juice out giving a froth-free drink. Very clever!
Let’s look at some of the Pros and Cons:
Breville BJE430SIL Juicer Pros
- Powerful Motor – A strong 850-watt motor spins up to 13,000rpm. Great for chewing through your whole fruits and veg.
- Easy Store Jug – Along with the detachable spout so you can juice straight to glass, the airtight sealed jug (large 70oz) is able to keep your juice fresh for up to 72 hours according to the manual.
- Low-Temperature Juicing – Less than 1.8 deg transfer when food is being juiced. This should help to reduce food spoil.
- Safety lock – Always a bonus as the disk spins super fast. It must be engaged before the juicer starts working.
- Overload Protection – The Breville BJE430SIL has an LED which lights up when it has been overloaded or stops to let you know it is either cooling down or requires checking
- 2 Speeds – This allows for slow and fast juicing when juicing some food types. It is important that you select the right speed based on the amount of liquid in the food itself.
- Large feed chute – 3″ wide feed chute for juicing whole fruits and vegetables
- Speed – The BJE430SIL juices food fast, and if that’s what you are looking for then you found great option
- Easy Clean – Almost all parts are dishwasher safe.
Breville BJE430SIL Juicer Cons
- Noisy – Most centrifugal juicers are noisy – Fact! But that is due to the high spinning motor and the way food is smashed to a pulp to be spun for juice. It’s still noisy though!
- Bulky – This is not a very compact machine, but that is a curse and a blessing. It has a huge pulp collector and juice jug, both excellent, but not space saving.
- Many plastic components – They are BPA free and that at least is comforting.
- Wet Pulp – Occasionally wet pulp or un-juiced greens are spat out whole. PRO TIP: Slowly push the plunger down as you juice. Rapid juicing causes even more waste!
There are a few common issues with the Breville BJE430SIL that are found with Centrifugal juicers, but the most interesting innovation is the airtight jug and the Cold Spin Technology™ .
Cold Spin Technology™
Things that can frustrate people with juicing is the time, the prep work, and having a small container the juice is filtered into. With Breville’s patented Elevated Juicing System and Cold Spin Technology™ you are able to make up to 70 ounces, or two litres of juice at one time.
The 13,000 RPM processing speed also allows you to easily juice your favourite tough ingredients in a fraction of the time. Because it is filtered through a micro-mesh filter, there is insignificant temperature, which allows this centrifugal to act almost as a masticating juicer resulting in a more nutrient-rich, less oxidized juice that can be kept fresh for up to three days. Essentially you are able to juice more, store more, and clean less!With your juice is not kept in the Juicer for long, that really helps to keep the temperature down.
I don’t think this centrifugal juicer can ever pass as a masticating juicer like my Omega J8006, but it is a step in the right direction. The Cold Spin Technology™ does it’s bit to keep your juice fresh and the airtight jug is certainly going to help in giving your juice a longer shelf life.
The Finer details
The Breville BJE430SIL Juice Fountain Cold is a quick juicing Juicer for the occasional user or someone wanting to do a load of juicing for a few days and keep it in the fridge. The extra large pulp collector and huge juice jug is also an added bonus allowing for lots of juice quickly.
As always though, centrifugal juicers do have a tendency to eject food occasionally that hasn’t been pulped and therefore not juiced properly leading to waste. PRO TIP here is to put the pulp in another bowl at the end of your juicing, and then put it through the juicer for a second and even third time to get as much juice from your fruit and veg as possible.
The Breville BJE430SIL also struggles with greens. The harder the food or the more the liquids are kept inside the harder fibres, so it is harder for the centrifugal juicer to extract that out. This really can only be achieved efficiently from a masticating juicer. (You can read our article Masticating vs Centrifugal Juicers)
The juicer looks great too and would happily sit on the sideboard. Most of the parts are dishwasher safer, but I always hand wash my juicer parts straight away. That way no food can dry on the fine mesh filter or get stuck onto the plastic. Get into the habit of making it a quick clean after juicing and you will find it a breeze.
I have to admit I am slightly jealous of the Juice jug that is supplied with the BJE430SIL. It is airtight and can be used for storage in the fridge to keep your juice fresh. That is a great idea. Very little contamination from the point of juicing to drinking. (That’s assuming you are okay with it being plastic!) I would have loved a glass jug with an airtight lid.
This is not the best centrifugal juicer out on the market, but it does have a few features which are noteworthy and for that, if you can get it at a good price, will certainly be a great alternative.
I thought I would add a bit more about the warranty that Breville offer on their Juicer. Should you purchase one, you are covered by a one‐year limited warranty from the date of purchase from the seller.
The bummer is that this is only a one‐year limited warranty, compared to their masticating juicer rivals that are typically a 10 to 15‐year warranty included. There is a way around this though! By buying online via Amazon, you have the option to add on a 4‐year appliance protection plan.
This includes coverage in case your juicer malfunctions or breaks down with 24/7 customer support. You will receive shipping on all repairs at no cost to you, and you won’t have to worry about hidden fees or fine print. You can even use it for a year, gift it to a friend, and they will still uphold the warranty.
I also want to tell you that you can get one of these juicers for a lot less if you buy refurbished! You can find sellers on Amazon who are selling certified refurbished Breville’s Juice Fountain for about $130.
What does “certified refurbished” mean?
It’s a four-step process by the seller. Customers return their devices to the seller that may be decided against that juicer for whatever reason. The seller tests the product to make sure it is working properly, that it was gently used, and shows limited to no signs of wear.
It will include all of the original accessories and as of the date of purchase, it will also be covered by a six month Breville Limited Warranty and you can still purchase up to a 4-year appliance protection plan as well.
They repackage it and post it on Amazon for sale at a reduced price. So you basically get a new juicer for $50 less! What a steal!
I don’t think this centrifugal juicer can ever pass as a masticating juicer like my Omega J8006, but it is a step in the right direction. The Cold Spin Technology™ does it’s bit to keep your juice fresh and the airtight jug is certainly going to help in giving your juice a longer shelf life. For the occasional juice, the Breville BJE430SIL Juice Fountain Cold may just be a good choice though.
Thanks for stopping by. Juicing is great if you are starting something like the 60 Day Juice Reboot to get back to health, or you like the occasional Sunday morning Orange juice. What are you choosing? Do you have one and are you happy with it. Let me know in the comments below. I love to hear from my readers.